As we prepare to ring the new year, I thought I'd stop by and update everyone on our progress with this cancer rehab center. By the grace of God, things are beginning to fall into place. A little over a month ago, I was officially granted corporation status. I must confess that I'm not exactly sure what this means, other than the fact that I had to get it before I was allowed to apply for non-profit status. I was also issued an employee identification number....Again, not too sure what I will do with this, being that I do not have any employees yet, but it is one more box I can check on the 501(c)3 application!
Little by little, God has placed people in my path that are willing and able to help me with this project. Friends gifted with the ability to do web design and offer legal advice have stepped forward. I've met a retired preacher who specializes in end-of-life counsel...A nursing student who has had an unexplained passion for cancer since she was in junior high...And a sweet friend from Bible study who turned out to be an accountant...God's mighty hand is surely at work!
Every time I find myself getting distracted with daily life, God finds a way to bring my mind back to cancer. A few weeks ago, as I was starting to feel overwhelmed with the hustle and bustle of Christmas, I learned that a friend of mine has been diagnosed with an advanced and aggressive form of cancer. As I pray for this individual's strength and healing, I can't help but stand in awe of the Gift he has been given. Understandably, most people would not consider a cancer diagnosis to be a gift...But the fact is, we are all mortal beings. There is nothing stopping me from stepping off my front porch tomorrow and getting hit by a bus. At some point, we will all face death...It's just that most of us like to live in denial of this fact. The Gift of cancer is that those who are diagnosed with it are forced to face their own mortality; to question where they are going when they die, and learn how they will get there. As long as we are living, it is never too late to accept Christ as our Savior. What a Gift from our merciful God!
No comments:
Post a Comment